Thursday, February 21, 2008

Fifth Meeting 02/19/08

The first reading was a passage from Tolstoy's "The Death of Ivan Ilych."I chose it because it is a poignant reminder of the great goodness and importance of life at its most fundamental level, as it is often seen by those near death.
Following the same vein, we went on to read the third act of Thornton Wilder's "Our Town" as a group, each taking roles of 1 or 2 characters. Our conversation following the reading naturally went towards the things we care about the most.

1 comment:

Andreas Pfenning said...

I've been thinking about the Tolstoy reading that was posted. The question I had is "Where does the pain come from?". To me it seems that the pain comes from not realizing what a gift life was in his younger years, as a child. Now he's experiencing the loss of that gift. I find it strange that retreats from his childhood memories because of that pain instead of cherishing them more and making the most of what life he has left.